Pages

13/10/2009

Jack O'Lantern

Beheaded, scalped, then set alight,
Please heed me and my brothers' plight!
I know that Hallowe'en suggests,
Evil deeds and rotten pests,
But what have pumpkins ever done,
To be just quite so put upon!?

A sacrifice to ghouls and ghosts,
to be a tea-light's mangled host,
Our innards cooked inside a pie,
As we look on from fresh new eyes.
Then left outside in freezing cold,
The grimace fades as we grow old.

From Pumpkin patch to growling Jack,
What other gourd could take this flack?!
Empty eyes and empty hearts,
Since you tear us so apart.

We must accept that we are here,
To be treated thus every year,
But please think twice before you cut,
And as you rip our orange guts,
What pain we must endure for you,
To frown and burn and scare a ghoul!

But beware my murderous friend,
Your life may soon meet the same end,
A witch's curse can well be used,
To turn you to a pumpkin too!

1 comment:

  1. Will I be damned for eternity if I just choose to make pumpkin pie or soup? After all, I have to rip it's guts out to do that too!

    ReplyDelete