Pages

18/07/2020

March 2020

It's not completely silent; I can hear the birds
And my head is still spinning with those repeated words;
Quarantine, 
Lockdown, 
Virus, 
Death
Wondering what on earth could happen to us next.

Not a cloud in the sky and the sun is shining,
At least the rain is self-isolating. 

Hints and tips and tricks online 
For how to stay safe and stay inside;
Read a book, 
learn a skill, 
do something new
Not quite that easy if your side-kick is two...

My daughter's already worn all her fancy dress,
The kitchen's in a state, the living room's a mess,
I've logged into work on a lap-top on my lap,
My toddler has just tried to paint the ears of the cat

It's the start of the lockdown - I must work and care as well
Is this the embodiment of the phrase "a living hell"?
Well, at least we are healthy, and at least we're all fine,
But all of this could change soon as it's only half past nine.

Dial in to a work call...
My daughter waves "hello" 
Then wets herself and tells me that she didn't "need to go"
Put on the washing, make lunch, drink tepid tea.
Dial in to another 'zoom' with a background of "MUMMYYYYYYYY!!!!"

Put her in the garden, get an extension lead,
Sitting by the double doors and feel the spring-like breeze.
Lunch is rushed and panicked - just a sandwich and some crisps! 
It's impossible, and manic, how will we cope like this?

But... 

I'd dreamt of spending all my days with my precious child,
I'd spent most of the winter wishing days were warm and mild
I'd wished I didn't have to rush from here-to-there and then
Have to do the whole journey from there-to-here again.
It's the age-old story of the monkey's severed paw,
You really must be careful of what it is you wish for




No comments:

Post a Comment